Thursday, September 4, 2008

Random Thoughts *I'm Missing Mode*

It's been almost a week since I got home from my eventful trip in Marawi and Cagayan de Oro. I'm now back in the boring conundrum I call "life". Haha. No, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm more homesick than anything else right now.

Hmm.. what do I miss about the city with a lake? It's not like I go out there to meet up with my friends, to make 'tambay' at CommCen (although I'm not sure if that's still the 'in' thing to do, and I never had that much of a chance hanging out there even then). I think it's more of the feeling that I'm with family--being with the people I know, and those whom I know as well. It's catching up with your aunts who've seen you during your awkward years when the chilly climate of Marawi turned me into some sort of burnt-looking marshmallow (yeah, nakakaitim talaga ang climate ng Marawi, at least for me), and they knew everything that went on with everyone who lived in the city. I miss the food! Pyaren. Randang. Pisasaten. Bakas.HAHA! All the yellow spicy food, where everything is yellow, even the rice..it's kyuning, right? I miss seeing relatives come over the house to hang out and exchange stories and opinions on various topics. I miss their loud voices, the laughter, the banter. The never-ending coffee refills. The broa that goes along with the coffee (or brua? Not bruha, ha!). And the one and a half hour long good-byes. Haha.

I miss the company of my friends, basically my batchmates, whom I hadn't had the chance to see for such a long, long time. I thought that coming home would equate to some sort of informal reunion, but amidst the buzz of activity, unfortunately there was no time to get to it. Well, I did Khuna, in all her pregnant-but-still-beautiful glory, who came to my place in spite of her condition and the chaotic atmosphere, to show support and make chismis as well. I don't think I was able to thank you properly my dear sister... I hope I can return the favor to you in the future, Inshaallah.

I also miss the chilly foggy mornings, and the way you see air come out when you talk..feeling abroad-ish.*snickers* I miss the view of MSU from the terrace of our home, the lush green meadow (meadow daw..ok, basak!) spread before your eyes, and the trees, that line up the road going to Marantao on one side, and to Tuca on the other. Especially that humongous one where the elders say is home to some 'people' we can't see.

I miss Ramadhan in Marawi. That's when I learned to drive.LOL! I was fifteen then, and my classmate would come to our place and help me with the mechanics of driving. But we didn't practice there. I practiced outside the house, picking up our classmates from their homes as I learned how to drive. But it wasn't just about that. It was bonding with them. I miss how we're welcomed by our classmate's family to his/her home to share with us their spread. I miss the colorfully lit houses, seeing people coming out from the mosque after Tarawih, with the women garbed in their colorful muqnas, and the men in their kimon or malongs.

Oh, I did get the chance to see my alma mater, Dansalan College, now called Dansalan College Foundation, Inc. (I don't know exactly when "FI" was formally added to the name). It has changed a lot since. Well, I fathom it would, the last time I was there was during my high school graduation.*smiles at the thought* Seeing the school brought me into a nostalgic mood. I remembered the funny and sad things that went on between me and my batchmates and other schoolmates, our teachers who were our strict mentors inside the classrooms but warm friends outside. I remembered standing on the soccer field during practices for the city-wide silent drill competition (which we won, by the way), the never-ending band practices and school activities and our "wholesome" after-school (weekend) adventures, which sometimes meant unscheduled trips outside Marawi (translation: takas sa magulang, going to Iligan or Timoga or Tinago or anywhere else to de-stress from the pressures of school). It was all for fun. Seeing the school and looking back at all those memories made me feel just one thing. OLD.

CDO is a different story. I only spent two years there unlike Marawi where I spent four. It wasn't as exciting of a life, but it was exciting nevertheless. We were what Maranao people would describe as masamok. But we were actually harmless folk; we're just plain masamok. I miss those times I was with my friends in XU. To the administration there, we were like an itch that wouldn't go away, because we made our presence felt and they didn't like it, considering the fact that we didn't even reach seventy; they very much preferred we were just on the side..the very far side. But now, they can't ignore the number of Muslim students in that place. And I'm happy with the way things had come about. You kids have it easy now, be glad you weren't around during our time! But more so I miss being with my family who is based there. My mom, my four other brothers, Ina, and everyone else who lives in that spacious bungalow I call home. I'm going to miss the banter by the porch where we laugh louder than the tambays by the store across the street.LOL Halim, no one's gonna make macaroni for you now.Bleh! Hamsa, make up your mind, ok? Weigh your options, but your option A is a No-No. And mom, better learn how to tinker with the pc and the net so you won't have to bother us again when the arrow on the screen's not moving 'coz the mouse is stuck by the wrist pad.LOL Kisses to Halil who's looking more gwapo as he gets older and Ina who's always startled with Raja's constant slamming of the door. As to Hamid. I'll miss you "Jimmy" ways, but not just yet coz you're here in the Metro.Hehe!

Hmm...it would be good to go back there now... I miss how life in the south is so laid back. It's not that I mind being in the metro.. I love it here! Most of my life was spent here. But it's just stressful. With the traffic. And the noise pollution (although I'd choose to live here in the Scout area than go back to the subdivision where it's too damn quiet..sorry lolo & lola.hehe!). And the never-ending expenses. And you're so far away from family. Hmm... It would really be good to go home. But I'm not ready yet. I'mma miss the malls here. And Raja's gonna look for his Gardenia bread.Hehe!

Hmm... Home. Where're those ruby red shoes?

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
*MUSLIM * wife * mother * blogger * online shopper * CBTL/Starbucks fan * sweets is my kryptonite *

Followers

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream